Outside the window signs of spring and signs of hope are everywhere in spite of—or maybe because of—a long dark winter here in Seattle. After much heart searching, prayer, and discussion, we have decided to end our time as Covenant missionaries in order to spend the next several years in the States. We are still grieving this early departure from ministry in Japan but feel that this is the best decision at this time in order to better care for the needs of our children and parents. For both of us, the call to serve cross culturally in Japan has been very strong, but the call to faithfully and lovingly live out our primary relational commitments to our children, our parents, and each other is stronger yet. (To continue reading the full text of our letter of resignation please click HERE.)
Saying Goodbye to Andrea’s Mom…
Early in the morning between Good Friday and Holy Saturday, Patricia Lundquist (Andrea’s mom) passed away quietly in her sleep while recovering from pneumonia in the hospital. It’s never easy to say goodbye to those we love, yet we sensed God’s gentle hand even in the timing. Andrea was able to spend time with her mom the day before as well as many, many times these last two years, something that has not been possible for decades. It has been a meaningful though poignant Easter for us. We appreciate your prayers as some family and friends gather on April 17 to celebrate her life.
Saying Hello to New and Untraveled Roads…
Thanks for your continuing prayers as we navigate this transition. There is much that we still don’t know about the journey ahead but here are a few details:
- We are both seeking employment and are praying for just the right situation.
- Once that becomes a bit more clear, housing will be another need.
- At this point we are planning on both attending the ECC Annual meeting in Phoenix from June 23-25 which will give us an opportunity for some formal closure and meeting & greeting colleagues.
- We are hoping to make a trip to Japan during the summer as we need to deal with all of our belongings that are still there in storage…. as well as to say goodbye to good friends and colleagues there.
- Andrea will be traveling with a Japanese colleague to the Women’s Triennial Gathering in Kansas City from July 25-28 and then visiting several churches on the East Coast following that.
- Our official date for ending our service with Covenant World Mission (Serve Globally) is set for mid-August.
How will all of this happen? We’re not sure… but we are lifted by the words of encouragement from so many of you. We really do love being on a team with you! And we know that God has led us and taken care of us this far…. and will continue to do so. We’ll be in touch…